Allowed and forbidden mods

We are thinking of redoing the mods list by instead having categories of approved mods, and if a mod does not fit in any of them or has features that cannot be disabled that do not fall into any, assume they are not allowed unless staff says otherwise. So far, we have the following categories:

• purely non-informational visual changes (capes, custom skins, hats, etc)
  • optimization (optifine, lithium)
  • information that is easily seen in vanilla client (i.e. armor, inventory, potion effects, item durability, light levels, measuring distances, coordinates, but no minimaps with underground mapping or mobs listed, xray, tracers, etc.).
    • Having a mod that shows the health or inventory of mobs or other players is allowed.
  • Information about game mechanics displayed in an easy-to-view format. May use information from the server that anyone can see in vanilla to show information (light levels, food in hand, etc) (AppleSkin, Crafting recipe list mods, visual spawning range overlays)
  • Mods that do not run while in multiplayer (world edit, multiconnect, ReAuth, Mod Menu for fabric, custom world generation, etc)
  • status info from your computer (fps, cpu usage, memory usage)
  • building guides (litematica, Slot Locker, etc)
  • recording mods used for the purpose of recording (replay mod)
  • anything that can be replicated using stuff built into the vanilla client without modification (f3 + b, f3 + h, zoom, no fullbright because that’s going into gamefiles and manually editing the value to something crazy high)
  • Mod loaders (forge, fabric, etc by themselves is fine)

If anyone has any questions or feedback before these policies are added to the rules officially, please say so here.

3 Likes

That covers a good portion of the mods I was planning to suggest. I would assume a mod like Mod Menu would be allowed for Fabric (it adds a new settings page to easily access the configuration files of many Fabric mods). There still are a few mods I have that aren’t clear-cut in those categories.

For starters, what about mods that add certain controls? As an example, I use the BetterControls mod, which adds functions like allowing you have have both a sneak and a toggle sneak button. And what about the zoom function that is added by default in Optifine or can be added in mods like Logical Zoom.

I also see purely that non-information visual changes are allowed, but what about changes that help improve the Vanilla Functions. On an enchanting book for example, you can manually go through the books and find the enchant, but there are mods and resource packs that can change the color of the book to reflect certain enchants. An example of one I use is Better Enchant Books, which changes the color of the bookmarks based on the enchant.

For the topic of status info that is easily seen in vanilla client, would things like recipes be included? A mod that my friends and I use is Roughly Enough Items, which allows you to search for an item and find the recipe for it. Would that also still be permitted? And would Appleskin still be allowed? I note that Tall stated it was fine earlier, but I want confirmation it would still be fine. I also note that it’s worded that a damage indicators mod might not be allowed, but there has been various instances where other staff members have said they should be fine. (#1 and #2).

And for building guides, would a mod like MiniHUD be allowed? There are neat features such as a despawn sphere overlay that can help when spawnproofing and building farms. I know that there’s also a few more debatable features like bounding boxes, but those won’t work without a seed or the mod installed serverside (plus once again, that information can be found online). I think that also brings up the question of if a mod is allowed if it provides information that may not necessarily be found in game, but can be found on a place like the Minecraft wiki. This could include things like recipes as I previously mentioned, or an overlay for a brewing stand that shows what ingredients make what potion.

There’s two last mods I have that I’m not sure fit into any place specifically, which is Slot Locker and Shulker Box Tooltip. Slot locker is self explanatory, but shulkerbox tool tip enhances the default vanilla shulkerbox privew by giving a longer list or an overlay with the items inside. Would these two mods be allowed or not?

Sorry for the pretty long post, and if my tone isn’t quite right lol. I just want to get clarifications on these categories and make sure there isn’t any grey areas like the ones I’ve mentioned for certain mods. Otherwise, I think this categories is a good idea going forward, and will help to more easily sort out what mods are approved and which aren’t.

2 Likes

Oh, one more thing I forgot to ask. Mods like World Edit would be allowed to be kept since they do not work on a server (without the mod being installed and configured on the server at the least)? And would a mod like MultiConnect be fine? I play on servers of different versions, and it’s convenient to use it to not have to constantly swap back and forth between versions (again this is another one of those mods which should work more on the client, and shouldn’t affect the server).

1 Like

One more one last thing xD. I don’t use this personally, but I want to make sure it’s clear for others. I see that mods that show clientside properties like FPS or CPU usage are allowed, but what about mods that show server properties like TPS or MSPT? (I think most mods that do this rely on estimations if they aren’t installed and configured serverside).

1 Like

For starters, what about mods that add certain controls? - toggle sneak is already in vanilla so allowed, zoom I will add in a bit

changes that help improve the Vanilla Functions. - stuff like that falls under “status info that is easily seen in vanilla client” because you can easily see the enchantment itself in vanilla, but the client just makes it easier/display differently.

would things like recipes be included? - good point, I will add something like “mods that give information regarding minecraft mechanics client-side only”

And for building guides, would a mod like MiniHUD be allowed? - despawn sphere overlay kinda falls under “status info” but I’ll reword this to include that

Slot Locker - I would say that falls under “building guides” as it helps you guide when buildling/doing stuff

Shulker Box Tooltip - I would say falls under “status info that is easily seen in vanilla client” - you already see a tooltip in vanilla, and you can just place it down

WorldEdit/MultiConnect - sure, let me add another category for these types of mods

Server properties - I mean, you can just see whether it is lagging or not, so I think it would be fine. Not sure how you would get the MSPT because that isn’t something you can just estimate unless the tps is below 20, but whatever.

Edit: Mods that show health of other mobs and players are allowed. I’ve edited the list to reflect this.

Thank you for the feedback!

1 Like

Thanks for the clarifications and quick response!

Is Physics Mod Allowed? (The only thing I’m worried about is the Collapse Blocks option, otherwise, I think everything else is visual.)

Really cool mod! Should be fine to use. Collapsing blocks just won’t work.

While writing a little guide on mods, I came across an issue. The mods I was going to suggest weren’t in this Allowed Mod list.
So here we go!

Please consider the following mods for approval:

• Mouse Wheelie: improve transferring items between containers, make items scrollable between containers (depending on which way you scroll)
  • Better Mount HUD: shows your health and hunger while on a mount
  • What The Hell Is That?: can display a pop-up with information on what the heck you’re looking at
  • Easier Villager Trading: streamlines interactions with villagers
  • Grass Bypass: You didn’t want to hit the grass, you wanted to hit the enemy!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

My Goodness, Grass Bypass would be useful!

I know it’s been 6 months, but just so it’s on the record:

Mouse Wheelie: improve transferring items between containers, make items scrollable between containers (depending on which way you scroll)

Allowed but not supported and we won’t help you if the anticheat flags you as cheating

Better Mount HUD: shows your health and hunger while on a mount

Allowed

What The Hell Is That?: can display a pop-up with information on what the heck you’re looking at

Allowed, though only client-side features will work

Easier Villager Trading: streamlines interactions with villagers

Allowed, but again, not supported and we can’t help you if the anticheat flags you as cheating

Grass Bypass 1: You didn’t want to hit the grass, you wanted to hit the enemy!

Not allowed - that’s basically reaching through blocks and doing something impossible.

2 Likes

plz can fullbright be allowed it just makes your game brighter but mobs still wont spawn